Wednesday, November 2, 2011

24 The Hard Way

Michael and I like to find any excuse we can to do a couple of things.  One of those things is to visit the grand children and the other is to participate in cool races.  When they come together like it did for us last month it makes it even all the more enjoyable.  We participated in this race in Oklahoma  http://24thehardway.com/ 
on our way to see the grand kiddos.  Michael did the 12 hour (Hard Way) and I participated in the 6 hour (Hard Way).

Both of the races were held on a 1 mile paved loop with the aid station at the end/beginning of each loop.  The track was fairly flat and pretty easy to run.  The race itself was well organized and fully staffed with great volunteers.  The temperatures were pretty mild, maybe low 70's for a high.  Great day and conditions for a race in my opinion.  The nice thing about a loop track is that you get to see and talk to so many different people-great social running.  The tough thing is that it is so much easier to be too social and let that hurt the pace.  I tried to focus early on in the run knowing that I do tend to over socialize.  I kept my music on and smiled at fellow runners and cheered a few on but other than that concentrated on getting in the miles. It was great seeing Michael occasionally as well.  He continued a nice solid pace despite having started 6 hours prior to me! And rumor was that he was in first place! My plan worked well for me for about 20 miles then with tired legs and so many people to talk with I did a bit of walking and talking in between running.  Enjoyed talking with some veteran runners who inspire me to continue pushing on even though I am not getting any younger.  About 1/2 hour prior to the end of my 6 hours I got a little burst of energy and picked up the pace ending the race with 29 2/3rds loops.  I felt that with all the running/races I had done recently that it was a good run.  Not spectacular but good.

Both the 6 and the 12 hour races ended at the same time and as they ended the rain started.  I was thankful that we did not have a rainy run but felt for the 24 hour runners who were still mid race and dealing with rain.  The award ceremonies were held under the warmth and dryness of a tent and we had stayed because I was excited to see Michael take 1st place in his race.  Not first place in Masters (over 40) and not just first place in his age group both of which are really great finishes but he took 1st place over all!  They started the awards with the 6 hour winners and as they came to my race and the first female winner over all I was floored to hear my name announced!  I had taken first female!!  I got a nice bag of goodies/gift cards/plaque.... and then they announced Michael and he got his bag of goodies and win as well. 

I run hard, I am committed and push myself to do better but despite that F1 is just not a title that is applied to me often.  It felt really good to have gotten it that day.  It also felt good to have our race behind us but our grand children to look forward to!















1 comment: