Monday, August 29, 2011

Time For a Change

Last week Tuesday as I sat on my computer working on a fitness paper for my fitness class my neighbor was next door taking his last breaths.  I would later find out he had a fatal heart attack.  In no way am I insinuating that my neighbor contributed to his heart attack.  Although I knew Russell well enough to know that he was a good man I was not familiar with his dietary or exercise habits.  But his death as well as a CNN special show, "The Last Heart Attack", really got me thinking.  The link below will give you a chance to view the show commercial free.  It is worth the watch.



http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/podcasts/gupta/site/2011/08/29/sgmd.last.heart.attack.cnn?iref=videosearch

I am not vegetarian although I have over the past couple of years lowered my intake of meat-mostly for environmental reasons.  After watching this show I am encouraged to lower my intake even more. There are many positive changes that I can continue to make to my diet that will enrich my life. 

What changes can you make?






2 comments:

  1. Americans need to reduce SODIUM intake. Kimberly, I know it is hard to think about the need for salt reduction when we surround ourselves with athletes that need sodium replacement HOWEVER, the average DAILY intake (including kids) is 3,400+mg!

    Yes, we all need a reasonable amount, but 1,500 mg is the recommended amount, 2,000 mg tops.

    So what change can people make? My number one recommendation is to stop buying processed foods. Sodium is only one of many reasons to do this. It's crap. Try making something homemade. I don't want to hear it takes too long. I sat in dialysis 15+ hours a week, plus worked, raised two kids, went to the gym daily and oh yes, made my own food because I couldn't consume more over 500mg daily. Ad a major motivator for many people - stay away from processed foods and you will shed the pounds.

    My rant is done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! You are so right about sodium. It is hard to remember that most individuals do not need to intentionally add sodium to their diets. Hubby runs in the heat so much the nutritionist wanted him to get a salt lick, lol.

    We have eliminated most processed foods from our diet as well. We do have minimally processed foods (locally made natural breads, tortillas...) but work from scratch when it comes to meal making. Yep, it does take more time but more time on meal preparation may mean less time at the doctors office and more life :).

    As a side note....Stephanie you rock! I love your love of life and the way you not only survived your kidney issues but thrive! Each day is a gift and I can tell that you use your days with that belief. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete