Friday, January 17, 2014

High Energy Ultra Loaf

Who else gets sick of gels on long runs?  I know that I sure do!  Now that my planters fasciitis is finally all but gone I am doing some longer runs in preparation for some up coming ultra marathons so I baked up a loaf of my high energy bread.  High energy = high calories.  Each small slice had about 200 calories of good stuff in it.  I like to cut the slices in half and pack in a zip top bag for a 100 calorie pick me up during a long run.  It is not as small as a gel but the size is adequate and I prefer it.  My recipe for making a loaf in your bread maker is below.

Add in this order to bread maker
1 1/3 cup very warm water
1/3 cup honey (or agave syrup to make it vegan)
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups bread flour (I use einkorn flour by Jovial...non GMO)
2 cups amaranth flour
1 Tablespoon vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
3 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast

Start bread maker for a 2lb loaf of bread.  I like to use the settings for a medium crust wholewheat bread. 

Prepare
4 Tablespoons of flax seed
2 Tablespoons of chia seed
1 cup of dried chopped fruit  (I like to use dates, plums, figs.... but use whatever you like).

When your bread maker is ready for the add ins (mine beeps to let me know it is time to add) toss in the seeds and fruit.  You may have to assist the kneading slightly at this point to incorporate the seeds and fruit.

When bread is done slice in to 16 slices. 

I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment